Whenever you brew espresso on a coffee machine or a stove-top coffee maker, you always need an espresso tamper to get the job done very well.
A coffee tamper is a small tool that creates big coffee. But is this small espresso packer can provide the 30 pounds of essential tamping force needed for a proper espresso preparation?
Well, as we searched the web, we found the best espresso tampers that could exert the needed pressure and the right ‘click’ to have an awesome espresso shot as possible.
Want to join us? Then, continue reading so you may know.
Why the need to tamp?
Is tamping really necessary in preparing your favorite espresso? Almost 100% of coffee experts say tamping is part of a good-old-coffee!
Tamping eliminates small air pockets in the basket. If your ground is not tamped properly in the portafilter, a less dense region exists which creates a phenomenon known to baristas as ‘channeling’.
Channeling occurs when the water finds its way through cracks or inconsistencies in the coffee ‘puck’ which results in uneven extraction.
Here are 5 of the best espresso tampers we could find on the online market which you can consider before you buy.
5 Best Espresso Tampers Reviews 2019
1. Espro 3058F Calibrated Flat Tamper, 58 mm
One of the most consistent tampers baristas prefer is the Espro 3058F Espresso Tamper with a 58mm diameter.
But there are other sizes available, such as 49mm, 51mm, 53mm, and even 58.35mm.
With a consistent ‘clicking’ of around 30 pounds of pressure, the Espro Espresso Tamper creates a consistent tamping force that will ensure a well-endowed coffee.
The 3058F is a factory-calibrated tamper made from a stainless steel base and an anodized aluminium handle that doesn’t slip even if it is pressed hard.
Since this tamper is pre-calibrated by experts, it does not require re-calibration or any adjustment.
Every time you pull a shot with the 3058F Flat Tamper, the aerospace material provides the ideal 30-pound of pressure.
- Also comes with both flat or convex style.
- Calibrated from source (factory) so you don’t have to.
- Comes in various sizes for different portafilter sizes.
- Precision-engineered to give you consistent tamping.
- Needs constant 30-pound pressure to be more effective.
2. LuxHaus 53mm Calibrated Espresso Tamper – Coffee Tamper with Spring Loaded Flat Stainless Steel Base
The spring-loaded LuxHaus Espresso Tamper is so easy to use and it is becoming the favorite tamper by well-known baristas around the world.
And you have lots of choices for the size, like the 51mm and 58mm base diameter.
The LuxHaus Calibrated Coffee Tamper need not be adjusted as it is tested and approved from the factory so you are assured of its precision tamp.
Moreover, this can be used as an automatic espresso machine tamper and you don’t need more sizes.
The calibrated compression mechanism of LuxHaus gives you a perfect espresso taste each time you have a shot.
Using this affordable calibrated espresso tamper will surely eliminate the guesswork every time you make coffees.
Really a brilliant idea!
- Comes in other sizes like 51mm and 58mm.
- A great training tool for newbie baristas.
- Non-plating stainless steel base.
- Easy to use and easily clicks 30-pound of force.
- Only comes with a flat face.
- Not suited for those who prefer a convex style tamper.
3. Espro 3058C Espresso Tamper, 58 mm, Black
If you want consistent every time you brew, tamp your coffee grounds with the Espro 3058C Espresso Tamper, one of America’s most-trusted espresso tampers.
As you begin the tamping process, the 3058C clicks around 30 pounds of pressure that are just enough to create a mouthful espresso every time.
Similar in contour and function as the Espro 3058F model, the 3058C is also a calibrated tamper that offers the consistency you want from time to time.
This 58mm tamper has a barista-style quality but even beginners can appreciate its ease of use.
As the Espro 3058C gives a perfect, consistent, and precise shot of espresso every single time, you don’t need to guess or approximate the coffee grounds on the portafilter anymore.
- Comes in both flat and convex style face.
- Comes with a stainless steel base and an anodized aluminium handle.
- Detachable handle from the base.
- Made in the USA.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Aluminum handle may not last as the stainless steel base.
4. Purple Mountain Tamper for Espresso Coffee Solid Stainless Steel
If you want impressive American craftsmanship, the Purple Mountain Espresso Tamper is the top pick by North Americans. This stainless steel best coffee tamper comes in different diameter sizes, such as 49mm, 51mm, 53mm, 57mm, and 58.35mm.
The Purple Mountain Tamper for Espresso is one of the most customizable tampers on our list and could deliver the best punch for your espresso. The excellent contour of Purple Mountain, which is a whole stainless steel base and handles, allows you to hold the tamper without slipping.
Moreover, using this all-stainless steel barista tamper guarantees a life-long use without losing its efficiency.
The Purple Mountain Coffee Tamper does not have coating or plating so your coffee will not be contaminated by heavy metals. It is absolutely safe to use on any type of grounds.
- No detachable base as it is a one-piece tamper.
- All-stainless steel (base and handle).
- Guaranteed safe and unimpaired to health.
- No detachable part/s.
- Made in the USA.
- One of the costliest tamper models.
5. Jimei Calibrated Coffee Tamper, 53mm Flat Base
The Jimei Coffee Tamper is a budget espresso press and comes with a 53mm diameter stainless steel base. It is also pre-calibrated so you don’t have to adjust anything.
Every time you use the Jimei Flat Base Tamper you create a nice espresso at the tips of your fingers.
Nothing comes close to the efficiency of the Jimei 53mm calibrated espresso tamper which is so sensitive, you can easily ‘click’ it against any type of portafilter.
The affordable and efficient Jimei Coffee Tamper is an ideal espresso machine tamper which does not corrode and only needs wiping to clean.
Moreover, the tamper is so light to the touch but can easily provide the 30-pound force needed for great coffee extraction.
- Made from food-grade stainless steel base.
- Ergonomic handle fits most sizes of hands.
- Convenient, easy to use, easy to clean.
- A great gift for newlyweds and other special occasions.
- Standard 53mm size fits most espresso machines.
- Comes with a plastic handle but BPA-free
- Doesn’t have a storage bag.
The LuxHaus 53mm Espresso Tamper is quite a luxury (pardon the pun) but with a price that we can really afford. We definitely need a 53mm tamper that could deliver the punch.
On the other hand, the Espro 3058C has many unique features compared to its closest sibling, the 3058F, but we prefer the former with the convex-style face. It cost more but we can probably use it for the rest of our lives.